Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Procrastination with a Purpose

I canNOT believe it has been quite this long since I posted. Then again, perhaps I can. It's been a busy, busy few months. That's not my topic, however. Moving on.

For about a month, my Dexcom charger has been acting...quirky. It would have to be situated just right in order to charge my receiver. Then, it wouldn't show that it was charging, but it would leave me with a full battery. What gives, right? 

Well, one day I noticed that the thick part of the cord near the USB-thingy was coming down, so I pushed it back up. Charger worked perfectly fine that night. Two days later, it no longer worked again. 

The battery on my receiver went kaput on November 7th. On the 8th, my sensor accidentally got ripped out. I had meant to call on the 8th, but due to a crazy work day, helping set up for the Veteran's Day program the next week, and distributing fundraiser cookie dough that evening, I wasn't able to do so. 

Not having a sensor on was...weird. But, at the same time, freeing. I didn't have to worry about pulling it out while dressing, or catching it on door frames (I wear them on my arms). Not being tied to the receiver made me feel footloose and fancy-free. So, I didn't call.

And I didn't call the next day.

Or the next.

Or the next.

I just kept putting it off, something that caused my mother no end of frustration, because she missed being able to ask me what my sugar was whenever she wanted and knowing right then. I missed the data, missed knowing I was okay after a low. But I relished the freedom.

Finally, I realized that Thanksgiving was coming, and I didn't want to do it without Dex. Also, I've been having some nighttime and wake-up lows that I really need to figure out. Oh, and an endo appointment in a few weeks. I'd enjoyed my freedom, but it was time to go back.

So, I called.

And as of a few hours ago, I am Dexing again. And it feels good. Just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment