Thursday, June 13, 2013

That Dip Stuff.

Although I like to think I have a relatively large vocabulary, words often fail me when I have to think of the name of something. Or, worse, for something. Hence, "that dip stuff". 

For years, my grandmother has made a Mandarin Orange Cake. The frosting is simple: 1 container Cool Whip, 1 pkg instant vanilla pudding mix, 1 can crushed pineapple. About 3 years ago, my mother and I, who don't like it, came up with the genius idea (this is before we learned about Pinterest, so everything was, therefore, genius) to omit the pineapple, and use it as a dip instead of a frosting, and also make it lite. So we:

Mixed 1 small container lite Cool Whip with 1 small box (or you can do large and large) sugar-free-fat-free instant vanilla pudding MIX, and let it chill for about 1-2 hours so the Cool Whip would absorb the pudding better.

It was fabulous. 

Put it on just about anything and it becomes delicious: fruit, graham crackers, muffins, pumpkin bread, pretzels. My sister-in-law and I like to just eat it straight.

However, we have never come up with a name for it. We don't use it as frosting. We could call it something mundane like "Vanilla Dip", but it just doesn't fit it for some reason. Too plain for something oh-so-heavenly. "Stuff" always gets added to the end of whatever we try to call it.

 SO, it's just, "that dip stuff", and probably always will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment