Monday, March 5, 2012

Roller Coaster Ride

Last week was very interesting, and not unlike a roller coaster ride.

Source: Google :)

Warning: Long! Also may include rambling.

Actually, it began Thursday, February 23rd. You see, although I have not been on the official "Teacher Sub List" in my district, I've been in the classroom, subbing, for about 2 1/2 years. However, only one school knew that I could really handle it, and so the other schools never really called me unless they got super desperate in the paraprofessional area. The middle school put me in a classroom once before my entrance on this list, but that was just a couple of weeks ago, and they knew that I was getting on it. 

You see, to be a paraprofessional substitute (subbing for aides, workroom, front office, stuff like that), you only need a GED or High School diploma. Easy. In order to be on the Teacher Sub List, you have to have 30 hours of college, and also take a sub class at the college. So, since I didn't have the extra money to spend, I stayed on the para list after I got the required 30 hours of college. 

I have been in quite a dilemma deciding what grade(s) I would like to teach. My mother has told me, "You're good at first grade. You don't think that you'd be happy with it eventually?" The answer is, no. I don't have a real love for first grade and first graders. There's this one class, taught by my former first grade teacher that I absolutely adore, but I wouldn't want to be in there every single day teaching on that level, with children that little. This dilemma made me want to get on the Teacher Sub List, so that I could explore other grades, but I still did not have the money for that class (trust me, you don't make much working retail, at least, where I work). 

Long story short, the school secretary called administration, and then the principal called, and between those two wonderful ladies and a copy of my transcript, I was put on The List on Thursday, 2/23/12. 

I got 8 calls between that afternoon and the time I left for school Monday morning. 

You see, I've been praying for a way out of retail for the past month. I was subbing what I thought was a lot before getting on The List, but suddenly, I was bombarded on all sides, by all the schools (except the Kindergarten school, thank God). I was already tired of working at the school, eating, then heading to the other job. So, on Tuesday, I went in and talked to my boss, and we worked it out so that I can work only on Mondays (my school day), and Saturdays. This ensures that my car insurance gets paid every month, but I won't be killing myself.

It's a nightmare when you throw D in the middle of all of this. My blood sugar has not been where it should be for the last couple of weeks, and suddenly, when I'm over 220 mg/dL, my eyes feel like cotton balls. Like I said, it's been an interesting week.

*Edit* Disclosure: I do not have anything against kindergartners or kindergarten teachers, but that's just not the place for me. Maybe if I get married and have children someday, I'll feel differently, but right now, I just don't have the patience or inspiration required to be a kindergarten teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment